Loyola Traditions - Past + Present
Loyola is more than 100 years old, but we’re getting better every year. We have an extensive history and when you become part of the ‘Pack, you become part of the Loyola story.
- Dressing “Iggy” - our statue of St. Ignatius of Loyola on campus- in t-shirts/ items based on what is happening on campus that week.
- Rubbing Iggy’s feet for good luck on tests
- Each class at Loyola has a different “class bead” necklace that is given to them when they arrive at orientation and again when they are seniors to wear at graduation.
- Each year at orientation, the freshman class is led out of convocation by a brass band in a traditional New Orleans second-line, which ends with the class taking a class picture in front of the iconic “Loyola letters” on the front lawn. Students also participate in a second line out of their graduation ceremony at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
- The “Maroon and Gold” graduation celebration for seniors on the front lawn
- Sneaux: a winter celebration that brings 20 tons of manufactured snow to the front lawn for students and alumni to play in.
- Loup Garou: SGA brings in recording artists every other year for this spring concert tradition. The name “Loup Garou” comes from the mythical French “werewolf,” which draws from Loyola’s Wolf Pack mascot.
- Wolves on the Prowl: Loyola’s annual community service day for students and alumni
- Junior Ring Ceremony: Juniors are invited to participate in an honorary ceremony to receive their Loyola class rings.
- Battle of Freret Street: The men’s and women’s basketball teams from Loyola and Tulane face off in this annual basketball game.
- Crawfish on the Quad: Annual campus-wide crawfish boil in the Peace Quad featuring Loyola bands.
- Third Fridays: On the third Friday of each month, SGA holds a campus-wide celebration, with a different theme each month.
- Catfish Fridays and Red Beans and Rice Mondays: Our campus dining hall, the Orleans Room, prepares traditional New Orleans red beans and rice on Mondays and delicious catfish and macaroni and cheese on Fridays- they are Loyola community favorites!